Monday, May 28, 2012

Review: Bitten by Dan O' Brien


(Click image to go to the Goodreads Page)
Title: Bitten
Author: Dan O' Brien
Started: 22/05/12
Finished: 28/05/12
Genre: Horror, Paranormal, Urban Fantasy
Publisher: Createspace
Format: Paperback from Author
Buy: Amazon | Barnes & Noble




A predator stalks a cold northern Minnesotan town. There is talk of wolves walking on two legs and attacking people in the deep woods. Lauren Westlake, resourceful and determined F.B.I Agent, has found a connection between the strange murders in the north and a case file almost a hundred years old. Traveling to the cold north, she begins an investigation that spirals deep into the darkness of mythology and nightmares. Filled with creatures of the night and an ancient romance, the revelation of who hunts beneath the moon is more grisly than anyone could have imagined.


FBI Agent Lauren Westlake has a knack for investigating cold cases that seem to pop up again spontaneously in different parts of the U.S. Her new case leads her to a cold northern Minnesotan town, where a string of murders occurred. As the investigation gets deeper, everything starts to seem...  supernatural.



I won't consider this book as a complete paranormal book. It seemed more plain fiction with a touch of paranormal, horror and suspense. To be honest, the book didn't seem so into suspense, it was more gorey than anything else. Definitely not a book for the faint-hearted.

The moment I hit the second chapter, I was lost. The way the book was narrated was very confusing, I even thought one of the main characters died because of the lack of distinction when introducing a new narration into the chapter. It was frustrating when I had to read back and try to get what was going on.

The writing style was different from what I'm used to. I didn't like it much. But the plot was stern and so were the side characters. The primary characters were easy to connect to but a long the way, I began to 'disconnect' from them. They weren't constructed well, and I just didn't care much for them along the way. Their dialogue didn't seem right for the type of the book but for some reason the secondary characters was well portrayed compared to the primary characters.

Bitten is an interesting indie book based on werewolves. Though I didn't like some bits of the book, I did enjoy the light romance, and the secondary characters. Due to its gorey content, I don't recommend this to the faint hearted, but maybe to the adventurous reader.

Thank you Dan for the signed copy! I appreciate it! Keep writing. :D

RATING: 2.5/5 stars (I don't have a rating star for 2.5, need to make one :D)



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I like books about werewolves cause i feel like there aren't enough..but sorry you didn't enjoy this one much.

    ~Shane
    new follower

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.