Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Review: Animal Farm by George Orwell

Sorry guys, if I've been reading classics. Lol. I've been trying to branch out a bit and explore my options out there before I stick to one genre. But anything NA/YA/Paranormal is still my main thing!


 (Click image to add to your to be read pile)
Title: Animal Farm
Author: George Orwell
Genre: Classics
Format: Paperback


Tired of their servitude to man, a group of farm animals revolt and establish their own society, only to be betrayed into worse servitude by their leaders, the pigs, whose slogan becomes: “All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others.” Published in 1945, this powerful satire of the Russian Revolution under Stalin remains as vivid and relevant today as it was on its first publication.



Animal Farm, one of those books everyone reads either for school, or because it's a classic and you MUST read it. Finally! I have read it from cover to cover and came to the conclusion that I didn't like it at all. I also came to the conclusion that classics are considered classics not because of the complicated writing or how the author uses his huge vocabulary and way too vague dialogue to write the book but the message and philosophy hidden within it. Even though I didn't like the book, I'm stilling going to be giving it three stars and that's because of the following reasons.

Reason One: Orwell writes in simple English. He was straight to the point and blunt. The only time he was vague was when there's a message he wants the readers to figure out themselves. He proved that a classic can be written in simple words so long as the message is mind blowing.

Reason Two: Animals have realized that we humans are just using them to produce food, clothes and other materialistic human items. And the next thing the you know it, a bunch of farm animals chases farmers off his own land. This plot can be considered as the zombie Apocalypse back in the day.

Reason Three: The book was short. If it was more than 150 pages, I would have rated this book two stars instead of three.

George Orwell wrote a book that touched one of the most sensitive topics during his day and definitely during our time. He shows it's cycle, how it begins, progresses and reaches it's peak until everything blows over and you've got nothing left but pigs. This is a classic indeed and I don't think I would have every liked reading this book during my teens unless I was forced to do. If you haven't read this yet, buy a copy and read it!


I can't wait to start reading more Paranormal and Romances! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.