Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review: The Selection by Keira Cass

The Selection by Kiera Cass

Genre: Young Adult, Dystopian, Romance

Format: Hardbound

Synopsis:

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



Review:

To be frank, I thought I would hate this book. I thought that it would be one of those books that write prose poetry and it would be one of those books that take half a series to actually get to the good parts. I even thought I would hate the book. And boy, was I wrong.

The book had characters you’ll love, plots to die for and plot twists to steer you off roads. The Selection is about a working class young woman who was raffled into a competition to win the heart of Prince Maxton. She is one of 35 girls who will fight to get a chance to date and fall in love with the next King. It sound so much like Cinderella? Surprising enough, the author may have gotten the inspiration from the old story but she made it unique enough to make it her own.

I’m amazed at how fast the book picked up and how easy it was to fall in love with the characters. Aspen, America, Maxton, even the other girls in the competition (good or bad) were all easy to like. The writing style was wonderful and easy to get through. For the veteran readers out there, you’ll probably devour this book in a day or two.

America Singer doesn’t fall for the prince. She is in love with someone else. Someone below her station. Someone who has to work many jobs to keep his mother and siblings alive. Someone close to reality and not a shining man in armor like the prince.

The world of The Selection involved Princess Diaries Makeovers, Balls, flowing gowns, summer dresses and a fantasy world that makes girls weak to their knees. Kiera Cass has definitely wrote herself a best-selling book teens will enjoy to the fullest. Only regret I have is my gradually decreasing joy for the Young Adult genre. I should have loved this book a lot more but I think it’s my time to move on to a different genre.

4/5 Stars



Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. I've been needing a quick read so I'll be sure to pick this one up next. Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! I love comments they're what keeps me going with this blog.